Here is a very powerful video from the Digital Media and Learning Research Hub that is guaranteed to make you think hard about learning, teaching, and schooling.
- play creates for people a reason for them to want to engage
- body and spirit are transformed by play
- play is a state of being, a very different state of mind, openness to ideas and other people
- not a closed, rules-bound place – the openness of the play space is extremely important
- play is one of the most fundamental human experiences
- play is a practice space, we play to get better at something, it helps us build confidence
- kids are driven to want to share with you what they’re doing, what they’re making, what they’re learning
- at school, we cordon off a time for play (recess) and then you’re not doing that anymore
- when you get older, play becomes embedded in objects (video games), you can activate play when you pick up that object
- when we’re young, play is the frame for how we experience the world
- adult life becomes about a set of responsibilities rather than a way of engaging your soul in the world (Source: http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2012/11/5-videos-on-connected-learning-from-the-digital-media-and-learning-research-hub-videos.html#)
Connected Learning: 'PLAY' from DML Research Hub on Vimeo.